Friday, January 24, 2014

Looking Ahead



Apparently, running your own business requires some organization skills. Organization is absolutely not one of my super-powers. I love to make lists and put things into little containers to fake myself into feeling organized, but I'm really not. Slowly the lists and the things in the containers all bleed out into chaos. And it stresses me out a little. 

So this year, although I'm not naturally inclined towards order, I'm going to give it the old college try. For starters, I'm working (slowly) through this (free!) workbook called "Unravelling the Year Ahead" by Susannah Conroy. My friend from over at The Handcrafted Story recommended it because it helps you set goals and whatever. One of the exercises is to choose a word for the year, and I chose 'focus.' A little focus would really go a long way towards taming the flames of chaos. It's a versatile word that summarizes what I want for a few different aspects of my life (work, learning, spirituality, and health for starters). 

For now, the most urgent area is work. I tend to kind of hit myself with successive avalanches of ideas and projects. And then, feeling overwhelmed with all the possibilities, I decide to 'destress' by watching tv or playing candy crush or whatever. Picture me buried in a mountain of all sorts of potential awesome and staring at a screen (phone or laptop) because it's just way too much awesome at once. Maybe I'll just try focussing on one thing at a time and eventually dig myself out? In the process, hopefully I'll turn my business into the super-star that I want it to be. 

How about you? What would your word be for the year.

2 comments:

  1. "I tend to kind of hit myself with successive avalanches of ideas and projects. And then, feeling overwhelmed with all the possibilities, I decide to 'destress' by watching tv or playing candy crush or whatever. Picture me buried in a mountain of all sorts of potential awesome and staring at a screen (phone or laptop) because it's just way too much awesome at once."

    That lady. Exactly that.

    This will be our year. Yes. We will slow down, make a list/get organized, take it one step at a time and just fucking shine Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet! I'm really banking on the "unravelling the year ahead" workbook. It starts with taking stock of journalling about last year and then has some really helpful exercises to help envision what you want for the year ahead. I haven't finished it yet though. I think I might need a fancy planner too.

      Delete